In our Spring 2017 issue of PowHERhouse lifestyle + leadership magazine, Dr. Seema Kanwal told us about an epidemic underway that is affecting women’s energy, mood, sex drive, and ambition: our iron deficiency epidemic.
Iron is a huge issue for a lot of women, not only due to menstruation, but also due to the lack of nutrients in our food, medication interactions, and absorption issues.
Please enjoy our follow-up video interview with Dr. Seema as we dig a little deeper into this epidemic:
- Why are women currently experiencing this epidemic, and how widespread is it?
- What are the top causes of iron deficiency? Why is it happening?
- How do we recognize the symptoms of iron deficiency? What should we watch for?
- What are the best ways to steer-clear of iron deficiency?
- If we do become iron deficient, what does that look like? How do we effectively manage it, and how long does it take to overcome it?
- How do foods labelled as ‘fortified with iron‘ compare with foods where iron is found naturally?
- What are some of your favourite iron-rich foods that you feel women could most easily implement into their meals and healthy snacks?
- Do you have an iron rich meal plan or do you work with clients on a customized basis? Where would a simple starting point be for women looking to create one that is doable (sustainable and budget-conscious).
PowHERhouse builds strong women who lead. We dance in the sweet-spot of lifestyle + leadership; recognizing the importance of strong leaders as well as keeping leaders strong.